Friday, September 28, 2012

Life at Innerstar U Part 4

Saturday morning dawns bright and clear. After a light breakfast of oatmeal, OJ, and a banana, Julia heads back to our room to finish "a really important project," while I get ready for swim practice. Willa and I find each other in the hallway, so we walk together towards Good Sports Center.
"Is Allison awake yet? I didn't see her in the cafeteria," I ask, trying to make conversation.
"Yeah, she skipped breakfast because her parents called with some urgent news. I'm not sure what it's about, though. They were still talking when I left," Willa informs.
"Oh."
I don't ask anymore questions and we barely say anything more. I sigh once I'm through the doors of Good Sports Center. Swimming will take my mind off things, at least for a little while.
I pull on my swimsuit and race to the pool, eager to begin. Miss Emmy has us start by swimming one lap of each stroke.
The other girls and I line up and we begin with freestyle - my favorite. I kick hard from the wall and my arms fly back and forth. I am determined to break my record and come in first.
At the other end, I swiftly turn around and swim in the other direction. All to soon, I'm turned around again and I begin breaststroke. But then, I have to start butterfly. I'm not the best in this stroke and don't favor it much. But I do my best, pushing up and taking a breath, frog kick, up, frog kick, up.
The last stroke is backstroke. By now, my muscles are burning and I'm slowing down. I'm on my back, kicking with all my might, looking up for the red flag so I know when I've reached the wall.
A flash of color catches my eye. I've seen it! Relieved, I stop and climb out, wondering if I succeeded in getting first. But I'm wrong.
"Congrats, Myra!" I hear Coach say. "You made finished first and may I say what fast stride you have! You tore across the pool like a maniac."
"Oh, it was nothing, Coach. I'm only doing what you taught me," Myra replies sweetly.
No! I'm angry and disappointed with myself and at Myra. How could she beat me?
I walk over to where Coach and Myra are talking. They see my coming and Coach breaks into a smile.
"Great job, Rosalyn! You're getting better and faster everyday."
"Though not as fast as Myra," I mumble.
"What's that?" Coach asks.
"Nothing," I reply.
But something is up, because before I leave to get changed, Myra gives me an evil smile.
Great. Now I've made an enemy for myself. Just what I needed.

* * * * *

I head slowly back to my dorm room. My brain is spinning with everything that has been happening over the past 24 hours. As Felicity would say, where's there's an up, there's a down. And where there's a down, there's an up. How could there be an up in this situation?
Suddenly, I miss my best friend more then anything. Why couldn't she go to Innerstar U, too? And with Allison leaving, I was even more worried. Was our group falling apart? I shuddered at the thought. But I knew then that nothing would be the same from now on. Too much had changed. But that didn't have to mean we would spend the rest of our days moping around because we would never see each other again.
A lightbulb went off in my head. I suddenly had a great idea and I would need Julia's help.
I raced home, eager to tell her about this fabulous new idea.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess!

    I have awarded you "The Versatile Blogger Award!" Congratulations!

    Here is the link to my post:
    http://www.itsmylifebygrace.blogspot.com/p/the-fun-and-fantastical-dictionary.html

    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete