Monday, April 15, 2013

Part Four of Anna's Story

"No!" I cried falling to the ground in exhaustion. This is horrible, just horrible! Why did this have to happen?

I felt strong arms envelope me in a hug and I realized it was a neighbor, but I didn't know which one at the time. Then, we were brought inside a house while people tried to stop the fire from spreading and our animals from running away. I felt gentle hands wrap a warm blanket around me and guide me towards a bed where I sank into the mattress and fell asleep.

The next morning, I awoke feeling Henrietta stir next to me. I blinked open my eyes, not knowing where I was at first. But then the horror and terror of last night washed over me and I gasped. What are we going to do?

Quietly, I got out of bed so as not to disturb Henrietta and pulled on the clothes laid out for me. Mrs. Bryant's dress was a bit big on me, but it would have to do. Then, I pried my hair lose from its braid and set to combing it. My hair was tangled and smelled strongly of smoke, which nearly made me gag, so I pulled it up into a bun to hide the singed ends.

I slowly walked down the front stairs to the main level. The house was silent and I wondered what time it was. Where is everyone?

I was met with Mrs. Bryant and her husband talking in hushed whispers in the parlor. They immediately stopped when I stepped on a squeaky board just outside the door.

"Why, good morning, Anna," Mrs. Bryant greeted, standing up. "Are you hungry for breakfast?"

All I could do was nod, and I followed her into the kitchen where her maid stood ready.

"Sarah, could you make sure Anna and the rest of them get breakfast?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"And Anna? I will be going into town today to settle some important matters. Will you and your siblings be alright spending the day within our property?"

"Yes, ma'am," I repeated. "Thank you for your generosity."

"It's what neighbors do," she smiled.

After I had gotten some food into my growling stomach, I decided to head outside to see if my brothers were up and about.

Although Mrs. Bryant's yard was smaller than ours, it was one of the most beautiful gardens I'd ever seen. Flowers of all shapes, sizes, and colors adorned the place. Neatly trimmed hedges and bushes were lined up along a walkway in the middle. At the end, a stone fountain added to the peaceful setting. Birds tweeted and flew about, whistling happy songs. I whistled a tune of my own and they soon followed suit. For the first time since the fire, I smiled.

After turning a corner, my eyes fell upon James. He stood by the far fence, staring into the distance. His arms were clasped behind his back and he wasn't moving a muscle. I found myself next to him, but I didn't speak. I let him go first.

"We can't stay here forever, you know."

I glanced at him, wondering where he would go with this.

"I know, but we just got here. Nobody expects us to leave anytime soon, do they?"

"No, but their generosity will only go so far. They don't want to have to worry about five children they aren't even related to."

"Clark and Obadiah aren't really children anymore. And while they find work, we could help the Bryant's out. After all, they're not as young as they used to be and with a place like this I'm sure we'll be able to do something to earn out keep. Where else can we go?"

"Mother's got a brother a couple of miles away. Maybe they'd take us."

"Uncle Matthew and Aunt Winifred? You have got to be joking - there is no way they'd take us. They don't even like us."

"True. What about Grandmother and Grandfather?"

"They live too far away and could die any day. Just face it - we're orphans!"

I plopped down on the ground in despair. Was there really no hope for us?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To be continued...

Photobucket

P.S. I am praying for the people of Boston today. It's such a tragedy! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment