Sunday, March 24, 2013

Words {A Sunday Devotional}

Do your words benefit those who listen?

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

~ Ephesians 4:29 ~

Do you have any siblings? Well, I have two... both younger than me. At the end of a long day at school and activities, the last thing I want to deal with is, "Jess, will you help me with homework?" or "Jess, can you make me dinner?" My sisters test my limits nearly every day. As much as I want to scream at the top of my lungs "Leave me alone!" and lock myself in my room... I don't. There are so many times when I want to call them ugly names or be mean... but when it comes down to it, I am their friend... easier to talk to than Mom and Dad, but old enough to be the boss too. if I say things that tear them down or hurt their feelings, no one benefits.

So, regardless of whether you have siblings or not... watch your tone and words. Only let joyful things come from your mouth. Remind yourself of the simple golden rule of "Treat others how you want to be treated." (Luke 6:31) Treat others with respect, and respect and joy are sure to follow.

Reflection: It is easy to say uplifting things to your friends. What kind of things do you say to people you do not like?

Application step: Today, pretend that the words you say are to God. What would HE think about being called stupid for asking a question in class?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Happy Palm Sunday! :)

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. It's especially hard with younger siblings, and I have four of them! Thanks for this reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! So true. I am the oldest of four, and they are my best-est friends! Words are truly powerful. This is a good reminder. =]

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

    Blessings,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete