Sunday, September 22, 2013

Love {A Sunday Devotional}

What about love?

"A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

~ John 13:34 ~

Today's verse tells us that we are to love others the way that Jesus loves us... Wow, talk about hard. Jesus loves us unconditionally. He knows that we will make mistakes, but he loves us through them. Jesus' love for us truly models what it means to put others above ourselves. Nothing that He did on earth was for Him, it was all for us. He came so that we could know Him, he died so that we could be forgiven.

How many times each day do we do things for us? All day long if you are like me. You study so that you can pass the test, or you do homework so that you don't get into trouble, or you watch a T.V. show that you like (even if your brother or sister doesn't). We eat lunch because we are hungry, we talk to our friend because we want to. Not that any of these things are bad, but what about doing things for others? What about loving those around us? Do you ever go and talk to someone just because Jesus loves them? Do you ever offer to help someone else with their homework? Do you ever help your brother or sister with their homework? There are many ways to show others that we love them.

Our outer beauty comes from our appearance. Our inner beauty comes from love. It comes from the love Christ has for us, and we need to let that love shine out to others.

Reflection: Do you love others the way that Jesus loves you? What have you done recently for someone else?

Application step: Get creative today and look for ways that you can show others that you love them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Updates on school: There is this boy that I have three of my classes with. Let's call him Sky. Since the beginning of school, I have been able to talk with him a lot about Jesus and what I believe. I've really enjoyed our conversations even though he can be really annoying sometimes! :P I think he enjoys talking with me too, and I'm really excited because I think I'm being a good influence on him. He comes from a broken home, and so I think he is drawn to me because I do not act like the other kids. I would love it if you guys would continue to pray for me, and for him. I can't wait to see what God is going to do with me this year!

Thanks for reading // Have a great day! :)

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Great devotional! And I'll be praying for you! That's awesome that you've been able to talk to him about Jesus. :) And happy birthday!!

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Yeah, it is! :) Thanks again!

      Love, Jessica :)

      Delete