Friday, August 30, 2013

A Short Story...


As I came up over the rise, I slowly pulled Winter to a halt and turned my eyes to my destination. The early morning light cast a yellowish hue on the house, and mist hung over the trees.

I was almost there. I couldn't believe I was almost there.

For awhile, I just sat there on Winter's back staring at the house. The place where I grew up.

I remember the harshness of the walls that seemed to close you in. The early morning routine of feeding the animals. The lonely nights and the fear of doing something wrong to upset him. My step-father.

I don't why Mom ever married him. Every night, he would return home from the club drunk senseless, and demand his dinner. Mom would reluctantly give it to him and try to avoid his iron fist. Though, she's not always so lucky. Neither are we. Whenever he would even get near us, Mom would find some strength in her to tell him to back off. But that's when the yelling and the slamming of doors started.

One day, my brother couldn't take it anymore. So he shut me in the closet at the end of the hall to hide me, and told me not to come out until he came for me and said it was safe. So I did as he said and had to listen to the awful things that happened next.

I remember a time before our step-father. A time when at night when Dad was home from work, he would turn the radio on. It would play lively music and Dad would take Mom aside from her chores to dance to the music. And she would smile and laugh at his clumsy feet. Her eyes would always light up when he was around. Though, his job in the coal mines would eat up all his time. He would be gone from sun-up to sun-down, and when he was home he always too tired to do anything. Though, sometimes he gave in and read me and my brother a bedtime story before bed and then tucked us in at night. That was the time when life was good.

But then, one day, Dad didn't come home from work. Instead, a stranger came and told Mom that there had been an explosion in the mines. Oh, how awful it was to see her cry so. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the last three years of my life.

When my brother didn't come back, I decided to check to see if it was safe myself. But when I saw Mom kneeling on the kitchen floor, screaming at my step-father as he ran outside to the car with my brother in her arms, something twisted inside of me. I felt like screaming myself.

So I ran out the back door, hopped on Winter, and we galloped off into the distance. Just like that.

But now, I'm back. And a bucket full of memories is washing over me. But I know I can't stay away forever. I need to be there for Mom and help her start a new life far away from here. I need to go home and face my past. I need to be brave. Lord, please help me, I pray. I need your grace and mercy in this dark hour.

And so, taking a deep breath, I guide Winter forward.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(What an awful place to stop, huh?) ;)

Anyhoo, I feel like an awful blogger! :( I hate that I don't have the time or energy to post during the week anymore or anything interesting. I also hate that I haven't been able to read or comment on the blogs that I follow! :( Ugh. Yes, that is how I feel right now. Ugh - sorry, I won't burden you with my toils and pains anymore. Moving on...

So... how are you guys? Oh, one good thing I have to say is that I joined the Christian Club at school! It was really cool to find out who else is a Christian and was really encouraging! :)

I think I'll go to bed now...

Thanks for reading this (interesting) post. Have a great day! :)

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I think you should continue that story, Jess, It's really good!
    ♥Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jessica! That was so suspenseful! Awesome job! :) And don't worry about not posting, I totally understand. :)

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete