Friday, May 17, 2013

Tanya and Alex Story

Chapter One

Tanya
By Me


“We’re what?”

Dumfounded, I sit back down on my bed, my mouth open in surprise.

“We’re going on vacation! Just the three of us!” Mom repeats, grinning madly.

“We’ve realized we haven’t been able to spend time together as a family much lately, so this one-week trip can help bring us back together,” Dad explains, putting an arm around Mom’s waist.

Finally he admits it. After all this time, I’m finally getting the attention I deserve. So why do I not feel happy?

“Well, I guess that sounds nice…” I reply. “When is this happening? And where are we going?”

“It’s happening this afternoon! So start packing and we’ll set sail to the Pacific right after you get out from school. Think of it as an early start to the summer!”

And with that, they leave me to pack and dwell on this interesting turn of events.

Who should I tell first? Not that there are many people to tell, but I’m sure Josie will at least be excited for me.

Oh, who am I kidding? This is crazy! We don’t have time for vacations a month before school lets out. Why not just wait? Then again, this could be the chance of a lifetime! I mean this is a cruise ship we’re talking about! How awesome is that?

Satisfied with my conclusion, I rise from the bed and cross over to my walk-in-closet. I need to make sure I have vacation-ready clothes. As of this afternoon! My parents are so spur-of-the-moment sometimes.

* * * * *

The next day, I have a skip in my step as I head towards the private school’s main entrance. For the first time in a while, I’m actually looking forward to another day at Cold Rock Academy. Oh, how the name makes me cringe. I could do without all the lonely days and teasing from years before that set the pace for me. But I cannot stop thinking about the trip. This is so exciting! This will be the perfect chance to tell them how I really feel. We’ll get to be a real family again!

I see Josie almost as soon as I enter the building. I quickly wave her over, moving to the side so as to let other students pass.

“Hi, Tanya! Boy, do you look happy this morning!” she greets with a smile.

“That’s because I am! Oh, Josie, it’s a miracle! My parents are finally noticing me and so we’re going on vacation! Just the three of us! Won’t it be grand?”

I ramble on and on as we walk towards our first class of the day together – History.

“That’s very exciting, T. I’m so happy for you. You’ll have a lot of much-needed quality time with your parents.”

Josie’s so lucky. She already has the perfect family, the perfect life. She lives with her loving parents, brothers, and grandma in a little house downtown. True, she’s not rich like my family, but I envy her all the same.

The school day passes quickly and before I know it, I’m back in my room stuffing last minute items into my already bulging suitcases. I scan the checklist my nanny gave me. Clothes. Check. Toiletries. Check. Money. Check. Phone. Check. Books. Check. Backpack. In progress.

My gaze falls upon my only-use-in-an-emergency black backpack. To anyone but me it looks like any old backpack. But its real purpose is to be there when I need it the most. When I need to survive. Which is highly unlikely ever to happen to someone like me, but I like to be prepared for the unexpected. I’ve gathered all kinds of information from the books I’ve read; they’ve all been extremely helpful. 

My backpack includes the Ten Essentials: map, compass, non-perishable food and water, sunscreen, sunglasses, and hat, extra clothes, flashlight, first aid kit, matches, fire starter, and knife. I’ve also managed to stuff in a water purification kit, insect repellant, a whistle, and flares.
Now that everything’s ready, I drag, pull, and push my suitcases all the way down the stairs and into the packed car. I take a few minutes to say goodbye to my nanny, and then go join my parents.
Our vacation has begun, and I can’t wait to see what our adventure will bring.

Alex

By Storyteller

My arms ache slightly as I pull myself higher and higher up the palm tree overlooking the beach. Waves pound against the shore, nearly covering the loud chatter of Crusoe, a monkey that follows me everywhere. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of monkey he is from what I can remember, but I still can't figure it out.

I shake my head, my shaggy sandy blonde hair whacking against my tanned face, reminding me that I had to stay focused unless I wanted to fall and crack my skull open. I glanced up, the fronds of the palm so close that I could almost touch them. I was almost there.

I finally reach the top of the palm. Holding on tightly with my left hand, I lean out against the wind, using my right hand to shield my green eyes from the bright sun. There's no sign of them. No sign of anyone. Just like all of the days before. But I would never stop looking for them. Because they were my parents.

"There's nobody there, Crusoe," I yell down to the monkey. He's still chattering like crazy on the beach, sitting next to the tattered T-shirt that I'd thrown off because it was so hot. I shake my head, my eyes again scanning the line of sky where it met the sea. "What're you doing, Alexander?" I whisper to myself.

All of this just seems so hopeless to me. I won't ever find my parents.

I slide down the palm like a pole and land on the beach, pulling my shirt out from underneath Crusoe and slipped it on. I barely blink and Crusoe's already on my shoulder, chattering angrily and looking like he's frowning at me.

I could tell he was hungry.

"Alright, Crusoe," I laugh, patting his head gently. "We'll go get something to eat."

I take off running through the jungle, the strange noises and sounds familiar to my ears. I jump over the large logs and avoid the mud pits. My eyes search for the place that I've known as home for the last two years, ever since the ship wreck that landed me on this island, away from my parents, all alone, a little twelve year old boy who had before known nothing but that Brooklyn suburb in New York City, the little school with the red roof, and the many trips to the college where both of my parents worked as science teachers.

I see the small ravine where the river rushes through, and can hear the waterfall. I jump over another log, using the air to grab a vine and swing wide across the river. I let go at just the right time and, not missing a beat, keep on running. That's the only thing that has seemed to keep me sane these last two years. Running. I run every single day. Not really to anything. More like from something. From the fear that I'll never seem my parents again.

I see my house up in the trees constructed of bamboo and smile. This is my home.

"We're here, Crusoe," I whisper to my friend.

I grab the vine and pull myself up. Crusoe jumps off my shoulder and zooms up on the vine ahead of me. I pull myself to the top and jump onto the wood planks of my floor, walking over to the door and opening it. Crusoe scurries inside, searching for food. I close the door behind me and stare around the little hut. It's not much, just made of plain bamboo, with a hammock for a bed made from the blanket that I'd been wearing as a coat when I'd fallen off the boat, a table made of bamboo, cabinets holding the food I could find, and empty coconut shells holding the water from the river that I'd passed.

"Home," I whispered.

Chapter Two


Tanya
by Me

“Wow! This view is amazing!” I exclaim, leaning over the railing. The ocean is as big and wide as I always imagined it would be.

“I know, right?” Dad replies, grinning from ear to ear. “What would you like to do first?”

I gaze around at the vastness of the ship, seeing all it has to offer. There is a giant pool to our left with water slides and pool toys, and an all-you-can-eat buffet bar to our right. Downstairs, there are game rooms, movie rooms and message chairs. I have no idea where to start.

“I don’t know. What do you think, Mom?”

“Well, I for one vote for an afternoon splashing in the pool and reading on the deck! Shall we?”

We immediately race downstairs to our suite, me in the lead. It’s like a dream come true! I quickly pull my favorite swimsuit on and wait for my parents to finish. I grab a towel, sunscreen, goggles, book, and my backpack just in case.

Soon enough, we are setting down our stuff on some nearby lounge chairs and Dad hollers, “Race you to the top of the waterslide!”

I laugh with delight and take off after him, Mom trailing behind. I pass by many more people enjoying the sunny day and head up some stairs, where my dad waits at the top.

“Ha! Beat you!”

“That’s not fair, you had a head start!”

“Well, winning isn’t everything. You know what they say: it’s not about the destination, it’s the journey that matters most. Want to sit on my lap for the first go?”

I don’t remember the last time I sat on my dad’s lap. It’s been years and, at first, the feeling is unfamiliar. But with his arms around me as if protecting me from the water, I soon smile and forget my troubles. This vacation is all about having fun!

“One, two, three... blast off!” Dad yells, and I help push off from the side.

We wind around in loops and speed around corners, the water poring down and around us. Down we go, faster and faster, until I can see an opening at the bottom.

All of a sudden, the slide shoots upward and I scream in surprise. I find myself flying through the air, then land in the water with a big splash. I open my eyes in the crystal clear water. My hair billows around me and I blow out some bubbles for fun. The water isn’t even that cold. I feel like I could stay down here forever, but I’m running out of air. So I kick out from the bottom and blink in the sudden light.

“That was awesome!” I call to no one in particular.

“Want to do it again? This time with Mom?” Dad asks, already climbing out of the pool in his excitement.

“Yes!”

It was one of the best days of life. We managed to persuade Mom to come with us, even though she wasn’t too sure about getting her perfect hair or designer bathing suit wet. After we had exhausted all our energy, we read in the shade of the lounge chairs – or in Dad’s case, nap – and then sat down for a delicious dinner while watching the fireworks display. It felt so good to laugh and smile again. I never wanted the day to end.


Alex
by Storyteller

"Crusoe, cut it out!" I yell from the top of my tree house.

He's chattering like crazy, though I have no idea why, since he's never done it before. OK, well, he did once--when I grabbed him off the tree branch two years ago because I was trying to copy Francis from Swiss Family Robinson. (Thankfully it was minus the fall.) But he hadn't done that since.

I've been looking out to the ocean all day. Usually, at this time of day I go running through the forest, or swimming in the stream. But today's different. I don't know why. I just want to watch. I want to think that my parents are going to finally show up. I want to think that they got out of that storm alive, went back to New York City, and are now coming back to save me.

Eh, I know it's stupid. It's the dream of a twelve year old boy, who's stuck in a fourteen year old boy's body on an abandoned island with a monkey he named Crusoe. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

"Wait a sec," I whisper, my eyes thinking that they've seen something.

It looks like something white, far from the island, but yet close. I can't quite make it out. What on earth?! Could it finally be my parents? I catch my breath.

That's when I look up at the sky. Dark clouds are rolling in. There's going to be a storm tonight.

"Crusoe," I yell down from my perch at the top of the tree house, "we've got to get ready."

* * *

The storm rages outside of my home. I huddle underneath the table, clutching the frantic Crusoe to myself. The blanket from my parents' boat is wrapped around us. I have no fear of this storm. I've had lots like it since I'd been shipwrecked here.

Even so, this storm felt different. Much different.

Call me crazy, but it felt full of promise.


Chapter Three


Tanya

By Me

I wake to the sound of thunder roaring in the distance. I sit upright in bed, listening to the sound of the wind howling, the rain falling, and the waves crashing against the ship. Of course, there has to be a storm to ruin our vacation. Well, at least it’s passing through at night instead of during the day.

But then, as if a lightning bolt has struck me, I suddenly remember something. Fear knots in my belly when I realize my backpack is still up on deck, right where I left it from this afternoon. I can visualize its position perfectly. What if the storm causes it to go overboard? What will I do without all of my supplies?

I immediately jump out of bed and pull on some warm clothes. In my haste, my movements have caused my parents to awaken.

“Tanya? What are you doing?” Mom asks, yawning.

“Oh, um, just going out for a midnight stroll. I left something on deck.”

“But you can’t go out there right now! There’s a storm raging overhead! You’ll be soaked through and it’s too dangerous,” Dad cautions, sitting up.

“I know, but I have too!” I plead, and without another word, I leave our suite.

“Tanya, come back!” I hear Dad call, but I ignore him. I have to retrieve my backpack! It’s too important to me to lose!

I quickly race down the hallways and up stairs. The storm is getting fiercer by the minute and the ship is rocking back and forth. I cling to the railing, and peer into the darkness. I can see the pool deck just ahead. I have to make a run for it.

So, taking a deep breath, I step out into the storm. I’m instantly battered by the wind and soaked through by the rain. My hair whips back and forth and I struggle not to slip on the wet deck. The thunder is getting louder and louder and I can barely see anything at all. Lounge chairs and small tables are uprooted, sliding every which way. Somehow, I find my backpack without getting hurt, and start to turn back.

But my eyes widen in shock when I see the destruction before me. A lighting bolt has just grazed the far railing, breaking it off. Now there’s nothing between where I’m standing and the safety of below for me to hold onto. What if I go overboard? I struggle to not cry in despair. I should have never braved the elements out here and instead have listened to my parents. But I have to keep going because I can’t stay out here. I have to try to get back.

Slowly, I crawl as close to the wall as I can, my backpack beside me. I’m so close to the door now, I could reach out and touch it. So feeling braver, I stand up for the last few strides, but all of a sudden, a huge gust of wind sets me off track. I’m headed towards open water and I can’t stop myself.

“No!” I panic. “Help!”

But it’s no use. I feel myself flying into the dark, cold ocean. I’ve been sent overboard and there’s no one who can save me now.


Alex
By Storyteller

My eyes flicker open. Soft sunlight creeps across the floor of the tree house. Crusoe is attacking a banana that he must've found in one of the trees nearby. I yawn and stand up, preparing myself mentally for my morning running. Crusoe jumps up onto the table, ignoring me completely. He knows that I always go out for a run, and he doesn't like joining me.

I climb out of the tree house and take off at a good pace through the jungle. I don't know where I'm headed, but my feet are taking me towards the beach. Probably because I'm still hoping that my parents were on that boat I saw the night before. Hoping that, after these two years, they'd finally come back for me.

I stop once I get to the beach, my bare feet sinking into the sand. My eyes sweep out over the ocean, and I feel a weight of disappointment drop in my stomach. The ship's no where in sight.

I shake my head. "It probably got carried off with the storm," I whisper to myself, starting to turn back into the jungle.

But something stops me. I turn again, and see something dark in the water. I frown. What on earth? I advance towards the ocean, squinting in an effort to have my mind figure out what the dark object was. Drift wood? A boat? A dead person?

The object got closer and closer to shore.

And that's when I realized what it was.

A girl.

I gulp, and start to start in fear towards the jungle. From the protection of the foliage, I watch the surf carry the girl onto the shore. She doesn't move. Is she dead? I didn't think so. Her cheeks were flushed red. Yeah, she was alive. But probably unconscious.

"You can't leave her there to die, Alex," I hiss to myself.

Being cautious, I slowly came out from the jungle. How had this girl gotten here? Wherever she'd come from, she had to go back. I didn't want her here.

But I knew I couldn't just leave her here to die. Sighing, I picked her up in my arms and started off running through the jungle. My plan was to leave her by the river with a coconut. Then I was going to leave her alone.

I place her gently by the river, and then raced back to the tree house. Despite the wondering chatters of Crusoe, I grab one of my coconuts from my stash and run back to the girl, leaving it by her side. Then I take off running through the jungle, hoping that she'll be gone when I get back.


Chapter Four


Tanya

By Me

My eyes blink open into the sudden daylight. The hot afternoon sun beats down on me, and a slight breeze whispers through the trees. My whole body aches, but nothing seems broken. I lift my arms and legs just to be sure they still work. I sit up slowly and look around, confused. Where am I? Is this a dream? Or heaven? Or has the ship been remodeled? That’s when I remember what happened last night. The storm, me going overboard, and then somehow finding my way onto this island. Oh, no. I’m stranded on an island!

I stand up so fast, I immediately collapse on my shaky legs, and nearly slide into the rushing river right next to me. That’s when I realize how thirsty I am. I scoop big handfuls of water into my mouth, relieving my parched mouth. I also find a coconut lying next to me, but have nothing to open it with so I leave it be. I’m not that hungry anyways.

Feeling better, I decide to walk around to find out how big this island really is and to see what else it has to offer. After about only a minute, the jungle opens into a sandy beach – the beach where I must have landed. But how did I get all the way to the river? The water couldn’t have carried me that far, could it? I push my thoughts to the back of mind, though. How I got here is the least of my worries.
My brow furrows in dread. How am I ever going to survive out here – all alone? No one probably even knows where I am or what happened. The ship and my parents could be anywhere.

Doubt starts to sneak in. They’ll never find you. You’ll die out here! In despair, I sink to the ground and cover my head with my hands. That’s when the tears start to flow.


After several minutes of feeling sorry for myself, I recompose myself and decide to walk the perimeter of the island. It will at least give me something to do while I try get my thoughts in order. I think back on all of the books I’ve read about kids getting stranded on islands. I had read them more for fun rather than for information because I was sure nothing like that would ever happen to me. But I was wrong.

Okay, Tanya. The three big things you need to do is to find drinkable water – check – food, and shelter. Which means you’ll need to venture back into the jungle and start gathering supplies.


The thought of going back into the jungle doesn’t appeal to me as who knows what kind of surprises await in it. I also don’t want to leave the beach incase the ship comes back, but I see I have no choice.
I move quietly through the jungle, searching high and low for food possibilities and places where I could shelter. Birds call back and forth to one another and are those monkeys I see? 


I pass by many coconut trees, and then finally come upon a banana tree. Luckily, the tree isn’t that tall so I don’t have to climb it. I pull a banana out of its position and quickly peel it open. It’s not as ripe as I would have liked, but I’m too relieved to care. At least I won’t die of starvation now!

After I eat my fill, I take another one for later and continue walking. The jungle is actually quite beautiful and full of life. I find myself enjoying watching and hearing the animals interact. I admire the wild flowers and even pick one to put in my short, blond hair that has grown tangled from last night. I almost feel like smiling when I stop short. Right in front of me someone has built a tree house. An impressive one too.


My heart beats fast when I realize what this means. I’m not alone! After all, someone had to have built it which means that they are here on this island with me. We could help each other! Happily, I grab the vine leading into the tree house and, with some effort, pull myself up. Then, I open the door and burst into the little room. But there is no one there. I am not disheartened though, for surely they will come back once it gets dark.


I place my banana on the little table and sink down into the hammock. It feels so good to take a moment and rest, and the hammock is much comfier than my night on the jungle floor. I smile with relief. Even if no one lives here anymore, at least I won’t have to build another shelter myself. Now, I just have to worry about my parents. Surely, I won’t be staying here long. They will be looking for me, right?
Before I know it, I’m fast asleep.



Alex
By Storyteller

I come back from my run hot and sweaty, and fully ready for some food. I grasp the vine and pulled myself up to the tree house with strong, practiced arms. But something's wrong. I hesitate. The door's open, and there's no sign of Crusoe.

"Crusoe?" I call out gently, expecting to see the monkey hurtling at me any second.

But there's no sound.

I frown and push open the door. Everything's just as I left it, but there's no sign of Crusoe. My brow creases in worry. Where was he? He usually doesn't just leave like that. I glance out the door again, wondering if maybe he was just goofing off in the trees. He wasn't going to leave me, was he? After all we'd been through together?

That's when I look at the bed.

And see that beautiful girl lying there.

What on earth is she doing here?! I glance nervously over my shoulder, then walk in and shut the door behind me. The girl's sleeping, her chest rising up and down slowly. Then a snore escapes her mouth and ruins the rather quiet scene. I can't help but give a chuckle. She was a least human enough to snore.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I mean, there's just this girl lying in my house. The one that I'd been hoping would be gone. The one that I'd left by the river. I stare at her face for a few moments. She's not waking up like I would hope, so I can't send her away.

Then the thought hits me--how's she even going to get off the island?

Then another thought hits me--she can't.

I sit down at my table and drink coconut milk, trying to clear my head. Since this girl couldn't leave, there was only one obvious choice--she had to stay. I took another swig of milk. I wasn't the type of guy to have to leave her to fend for herself. Though that was exactly what I wanted her to do. I wasn't even sure of my own feelings. Half of me just wanted her to leave and the other halve of me was starved for a conversation with a real human being that would talk back to me.

Unlike Crusoe. Which presented another problem. Where was that rascal of a monkey? I glance around the house, and suddenly I see him. He's cowering in the ceiling, staring down at the girl like she's a wild animal that's going to bite him.

"It's OK, Crusoe," I assure him.

Though I feel anything but OK.

There was a yawn, and suddenly the girl's eyes flipped open.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~


What do you think so far? I love writing with Storyteller and hope to add Chapter Five soon.

Guess what? I'm out of school! I can't wait to get summer started! Do you have any plans for the summer? Have a great day! :)

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love the story so far!! :) And that's awesome that you're out of school! We really do need to video chat sometime soon, to celebrate being out of school! :)

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete