Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Sisters {A Short Story}


Smiling, I reluctantly put my hands over my eyes.
"No peeking!" she instructed, and then disappeared into the grass.
I started counting. "One, two, three..." until I got to thirty.
"Ready or not, here I come!" I opened my eyes, squinting against the brilliant sunlight.
Standing, I started moving among the grass, trying to think where a little girl might hide.
The meadow wasn't very big - it only covered about half a football field. There were big, climbing trees on the outer rim and they surrounded the meadow, which made it feel more enclosed and protected. Many a summer day had been spent here, just me and my sister. It had become our favorite place in the world.
A slight breeze came by and blew my blond hair away from my face. I sighed and breathed deeply, relishing in the slight break from the heat.
I followed the sound of a bird calling into the trees, figuring she may have decided to climb one of them.
The trees were densely packed together and blocked out most of the light. More and more birds started breaking into song and I sang with them.
Soon, I realized that someone else was singing along too. I stopped abruptly and slowly looked up. And there she was. My sister.
"Oh! You found me!" she exclaimed, realizing her mistake.
I grinned back in mockery.
She quickly slid down the tree and landed with a thump on the forest floor.
"I found you!" I picked her up and swung her around, and we laughed all the while. Then, I set her down and we began running back to the meadow, with our bird flying above us. We ran until we couldn't run any more, and so we plopped down the ground and laid on our backs. As I was staring up into the blue sky, I remembered another game we always played.
"That cloud looks like a flower," I said, pointing.
"Well, that one looks like a cat."
We smiled and continued our game for quite a while, but then she found the one.
"That one looks like two sisters. See? They're holding hands, just like you and me," she said, reaching for my hand.
I glanced over at her, my heart filling with joy. I loved the way her little hands felt in mine. The way her eyes sparkled when she was excited. The way she laughed, a loud, bubbly laugh when she was happy. The way she grabbed on to me when she was scared or didn't know what to do. The way she followed me, studying my every move and trying to be like me because she looked up to me. I was her hero. Her best friend. Her role model. Her sister. And I loved her very much.

sisters are a blessing <3 cherish your sister

Photobucket

4 comments: