Monday, January 27, 2014

Hallie Part 5

Jasper

I found Uncle Robin writing in the back bedroom.
"I thought I heard you walk in," he said, not looking up from his work. "Did you happen to bring back any dinner from when you went exploring?"
"Unfortunately no," I answered, cursing myself for not remembering. It would have been nice not to have soup again for once. "However, I did find something else. Someone else."
Uncle turned and looked up at me, eyebrows raised. "And what might that be?"
"A girl."
"A what!?" He stood up abruptly, his eyes open in shock.
"A girl," I repeated. "Her name's Hallie. I rescued her from the river when she broke The Bridge."
"She what!?"
"I know, right?" I said, throwing my hands up in the air. "How are we supposed to get to town now? No one was supposed to know about it. Which makes me wonder... where did she come from?"
"You should have asked that question before you let in. She's a stranger, Jasper! What if she tells someone about us? Are you expecting me to take care of her?"
"No, no of course not. She'll be my responsibility. But I mean, I'm sure she could help out around here. She's my age and now that she's wearing Mother's dress she doesn't look completely useless. I mean, she looked beautiful in her old dress, but she'll probably look better now."
"That's great, Jasper. I'm surprised you let her wear your mother's dress. I thought you wanted it to be a keepsake."
"I did, but what else is she supposed to wear? I'm sure Mother wouldn't mind."
"Jasper?" I hear a soft voice call from outside the closed door, breaking our conversation.
"That would be her," I explain, and then call to her. "I'll be right there!"

Photobucket

6 comments: