Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Entering

Entering a short story contest on Ryder's blog:


“Angelica? Ramona! Matthew! Could you come down to the dining room for a minute please? We have something to tell you.” Mum called.
“Coming!” I replied. “Come on, Angelica, you can do that later.”
With a sigh, Angelica got up from the floor, where she had been painting her nails and reading the latest issue of FaithGirlz magazine.
“I’m coming,” she said.
We bounded down the stairs to find our parents and Matthew already waiting for us in the dining room.
“Are we in trouble?” Matt asked as we took a seat next to him.
“No, you’re not in trouble, sweetie,” Mum replied.
“We just have to tell you something very important,” Dad finished.
Angelica and I gave each other worried glances.
“Your father and I have decided,” Mum paused for suspense, “that we are going to move to Massachusetts, USA!”
Everyone went quiet. My parents were smiling at us with big, loopy grins on their faces as if they’d just won the lottery or something.
“Well, how about it?” Dad asked, the smile falling from his face.
I gaped at them, shocked. We were going to leave everything behind to live in America?
“Cool,” Matt said, softly.
Mum smiled at him, but with a concerned look on her face.
Then clearing her throat said, “Your father and I have been talking lately, that it would be nice to get away from England for a while.”
Mum stopped short. I then realized what this was all about.
“Is this because of Ronnie?” I asked quietly.
“Now, honey, don’t jump to conclusions.” Dad put in. “This could be a great experience. Besides, something work related has come up, so that at the end of the school year, I won’t have a job anymore. The school is running low on money and will have to cut some of its teachers. So, I’ve been applying for several jobs for several weeks. And I found one in Massachusetts that will provide all our needs. Your mum won’t have to work, now, but instead take care of you kids here at home.”
“Oh.”
I was speechless. Awkward silence followed this shocking news.
Then Angelica suddenly burst out, “I’ve thought things over and have come to a decision.”
Now standing up, she said, ”There is no way that I am leaving England.”
She sat back down and folded her arms over her chest, scowling. Mum pursed her lips and then glanced over at Dad. They both nodded their heads in agreement.
“I’m afraid that’s not an option,” Mum started again. “We have a few months until we leave England for Massachusetts. Are there any questions?”
“But, Mum!” Angelica whined.
Mum sighed again. I realized that not only was this hard on us, but also hard in Mum and Dad.
“Look, I’m sorry, Angelica, but you’re just going to have to be reasonable. I know it will be hard to leave everything you know and everyone you love. Believe me, it will be hard for me too to say goodbye. But we all have to try new things now and then, and step out of our comfort zone. Massachusetts can be just like England, you know, if you really think about it. A whole new life is waiting for you in Cape Cod – ”
“Cape Cod?” I interrupted.
That was exciting. I’d read about Cape Cod before in books, and heard that it was very nice, but never had it crossed my mind that might visit there, let alone live there. It was right next to the beach, I’d heard, which I loved. I loved going to the beach, even though here in England, most of the time it’s to cold to actually go swimming in. Mum would definitely want to drag me along to the beach with her to do some serious yoga and connecting with God. She’d always tell me on those weekly visits, that the only way to really connect was to find some quiet place in nature.
“It’s no use trying it at home or in the car. There are too many distractions,” she’d tell me.
You have to agree with her. Beaches can be so pretty and relaxing that it can take your breath away. Especially sunsets. So after all that, I’d have to say that I was looking forward to living in Cape Cod.
“Yes,” Mum answered. “Is there a problem with that?”
“None at all,” I said.
Angelica just scowled some more.
“Well, now with that all said and done, you may go back to whatever it was you were doing before we called you,” Dad broke in with a smile. “You are dismissed.”
Of course, he had to use those words because he was a teacher, but did he really have to bring up the subject of school on a time like this? On a day like this? Hearing this, Matthew jumps up from his seat as if his pants are on fire and exits the room. Angelica leaves more slowly with her arms still crossed over her chest. I continue to sit and think things over.
“Ramona, are you all right?” Mum asks.
“Oh, no, I’m fine,” I say, getting up from my chair. “I’m actually kind of excited that we are going to live in Cape Cod. You know how much I love the beach!”
I smile a big, loopy smile. Mum smiles back.
“Well, I’m glad at least somebody is excited about moving,” she says.
And with that, we go our separate ways...



Just a snippet of a story I'm writing. :)



7 comments:

  1. Awesome story! I love England.
    ~Meg~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been awarded the "I Love My Followers" Tag! :D http://www.americangirlplayground.com/2012/12/05/the-i-love-my-followers-tag/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was going to enter the contest too, but with such an amazing story to compete with, I'm not sure if I will now (totally kidding!). You're a wonderful author, by the way! ~Audrey

    fondmemories99.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! :) You should totally enter. I will check out your blog.

      Delete
  4. You're welcome! I will, if I find the time! :)

    ReplyDelete