Saturday, June 23, 2012

Africa, Part 2: Zambia

We landed in Johannesburg, South Africa and drove 1-hour north to Pretoria, where our church's missionaries, Mr. and Mrs. Combrinck, lived. They trained pastors, worked with AIDS orphans by giving them food, clothing, fresh water, and by sending teams from the USA to play games, sing songs, and make crafts with them. That's what we were going to do. We flew up to Lusaka, Zambia (more flying!) and drove the rest of the way to Mansa. Africa is very different and took my breath away. We past by brick huts where the people lived, markets filled with food, animals, and trinkets, children playing in the streets with dirty, torn clothes, and women balancing baskets on their heads and carrying babies on their back. My heart swelled with compassion for these people who led such simple and hard lives.
Right next to the orphan center is the church Mr. Combrinck's friend started. The service goes twice as long, the music is very upbeat and loud, and my mom, brothers, and I had to sing a song for them! I was really nervous! Then, when church let out, we had to stand at the back of the church and shake everyone's hand! And there were a lot of hands to shake! But, in the end, it was fine.
I loved working with the orphan kids. They were so full of smiles and love for each other. We laughed constantly. The little girls braided my hair, the older boys followed and talked to me, and the older girls and I played games and made necklaces which we exchanged with each other. I wear mine all the time.
At the end of our stay, they put on a show for us. I will never forget them. Maybe someday I will go back to Mansa. Here are some photos of our time in Zambia. :)


Church

A brick hut on the side of the road


The kids - they were very happy to see us!


Working on a craft


They loved getting their picture taken!


Fiddling with Lisa's, who's staying with the kids for two weeks, hair.


The well our church built for them


Kids from a village we past on our way to Mansa


The kids dancing for us


The older girls singing for us

4 comments:

  1. Africa sounds amazing Jessica! And thank you so much for your postcard! :)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the pictures! Africa sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! :) It was a life-changing experience.

    ReplyDelete